Saturday, March 1, 2014

painting

We finally decided on a paint color for the baby room.  I originally had planned on doing a light blue with gray and white stripes on the wall, but Jason said no more light blue walls.  I painted our laundry room light blue, Connor's bathroom blue and Connor's room blue and brown.  We decided on a darker blue with white stripes.

 Connor and I started off with masks, but Jason bought some great new paint with low odor, which hardly had any smell to it at all.  I still kept my mask on while we painted the walls blue, but I didn't use the mask at all while we did the white stripes (also low odor paint).
 After we put down a plastic barrier on the floor, all 3 of us painted the blue walls.

 After the main walls were painting I spent another few hours painting next to the ceiling, around the trim and all the detail work.  Jason is an excellent handyman, but he hates to paint.  Which works out great because I love to paint, but I'm really picky with my lines.  I can't stand messy paint lines.  I want clean, crisp paint lines, which is difficult if you have textured walls and ceilings.
 We let the blue paint dry for a few days and then masked off for the white lines.  It took about an hour to get the tape lines perfectly straight on the walls.  Jason used a laser level for part of it and verified with a tape measure.  It took 6 lines of Frog tape all around the room.  Then I caulked all 6 tape lines, which if your wondering.. yes, it was a huge pain!  But well worth the effort.  Jason and I applied 2 coats of the white paint.  I was a little concerned that we might have trouble getting the tape off the wall since we had to let the first white coat completely dry before we added the second coat, but to my surprise it pealed right off and revealed beautiful clean, crisp lines! 

The lines looks incredible, but being the picky painter that I am... I still went around with a fine tip paint brush and touched up any imperfections I could find. We love the finished paint job.  Our theme for the baby room is boats.  We found a great boat knick-knack shelf that Grandpa is going to build for us to hang on the wall.  Once we decide on a name I'll paint some letters to hang on the wall too.  The room colors work great for his boat theme, but could easily be converted into a car theme later or even transition into a cool teen room.  We hope our new little guy likes his room as much as we do!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails