Sunday, December 14, 2014

Krista's graduation

After 5 years of nursing school I finally graduated from WSU with my BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) degree!  I graduated with the degree honor- Magna Cum Laude!  Go Wazzu Cougars!  Crimson and Gray all the Way!!  The graduation ceremony was in Pullman on Saturday, December 13.  I decided not to attend the graduation ceremony since it was a 2 hour drive away and the ceremony was for the entire WSU college, not just nursing.  After talking to friends after the ceremony I'm glad I skipped it too.  I heard it was so crowded, impossible to find parking and then you sit in a huge crowd of students for 2+ hours and listen to speeches... all so you can walk on stage and receive a fake diploma (the real diploma is delivered later of course).  Less than half of my classmates attended the Pullman graduation, but almost everyone attended our Convocation ceremony the following day Sunday, December 14, 2014 at the Spokane INB Performing Art Center.  Convocation is the important graduation ceremony, which is just for the nursing students.  It's referred to as the Pinning Ceremony which is a symbolic welcoming of newly graduated  nurses into the nursing profession.

 

 We were instructed to choose a special person in our lives, someone who supported us and gave us strength throughout our nursing journey to pin us.  I knew immediately who that person was for me... Connor!  He has always given me a great sense of strength and motivation.  Throughout my challenges in nursing I have always climbed to the top by keeping Connor in mind.  I want him to grow up and conquer college just like I did... not simply trying to get through it, but to really apply himself and challenge himself to rise to the top.  I would have loved to have had Kaiden there as well, but it's hard for a 8 month old to sit quiet and still for very long.  Vicki watched Kaiden at her house during the ceremony.  Connor was amazing!  Jason walked him to the front and when they called my name he raced out to the pinning spot and waited patiently.  Ryan Townsend, the director who was calling out names and announcing who we had chosen to present us with our pin said "Krista Charette will be pinned by her son, Connor... who is incredibly prompt!"  Connor was so excited to pin me.

 Before we're pinned each student lights a candle from the faculty candle.  Then Connor got to present me with my nursing pin!





 Two of my favorite men- Jason and Connor.  My parents drove to Spokane for the ceremony.


 My friend Olesya and her family- Roman, Nina and Eva.
 My nursing adviser, Laura Wintersteen.

 

 WSU 2014 Nursing class!


Me with all 3 of my honor cords.  I didn't get the chance to wear them since I didn't attend the Pullman cap and gown ceremony.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails